- Integrative Health and Whole Person Care Expert, Family Physician, Researcher, and Author
- Former Director National Institutes of Health Office of Alternative Medicine
- Former Director World Health Organization Center for Traditional Medicine
- Former Director of Medical Research Fellowship at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
- Retired Lt. Colonel United States Army Medical Corps
- Practicing Family Physician at Fort Belvoir Community Hospital
- Clinical Professor of Family Medicine, Georgetown University
- President of Healing Works Foundation
Wayne Jonas, MD, is a board-certified, practicing family physician, an expert in integrative health and whole person care delivery, and a widely published scientific investigator. Additionally, Dr. Jonas is a retired Lieutenant Colonel in the Medical Corps of the United States Army. From 2001-2016, he was President and Chief Executive Officer of Samueli Institute, a non-profit medical research organization supporting the scientific investigation of healing processes in the areas of stress, pain and resilience.
Dr. Jonas was the Director of the Office of Alternative Medicine at the National Institutes of Health from 1995-1999, and prior to that served as the Director of the Medical Research Fellowship at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians.
His research has appeared in peer-reviewed journals such as the Journal of the American Medical Association, Nature Medicine, the Journal of Family Practice, the Annals of Internal Medicine, and The Lancet. Dr. Jonas received the 2015 Pioneer Award from the Integrative Healthcare Symposium, the 2007 America’s Top Family Doctors Award, the 2003 Pioneer Award from the American Holistic Medical Association, the 2002 Physician Recognition Award of the American Medical Association, and the 2002 Meritorious Activity Prize from the International Society of Life Information Science in Chiba, Japan.
Dr. Jonas is currently the President of Healing Works Foundation, a not for profit organization dedicated to the integration of healing and curing in routine health care delivery.
Dr. Jonas’ Research Portfolio
Dr. Jonas has led and participated in hundreds of research studies beginning with his time as Director of the National Institutes of Health Office of Alternative Medicine. While serving as CEO and President of the non-profit research organization Samueli Institute, his work set the bar for evidence-based research in the areas of pain, stress and human performance.