Now that you and the patient have a HOPE list, the hard work begins. It’s critical to connect the patient’s priorities and health goals to medical advice, and offer support in implementing the changes.
Here is a list of solutions to offer your patients (PDF) based on the challenges they identified in their HOPE visit.
Health coaching and regular check-ins are key. Here are some strategies to provide the regular check-ins that patients need to progress toward their health goals:
• Health coaching (PDF). A health coach can follow up by phone or via telehealth to help patients overcome daily challenges and support them for success. Health or well coaching are a distinct set of skills different from expert advice that might be provided by a physician, nutritionist or fitness coach. See the AMA’s resource: “Implementing Health Coaching” from Thomas Bodenheimer, MD, MPH, of the UCSF Center for Excellence in Primary Care
- Personalized Health Planning Form – Initial Visit (PDF)
- Personalized Health Planning Form – Follow-up Visit (PDF)
- Personalized Health Planning- Sample (PDF)
• Group visits (PDF). These are an excellent option for patients with chronic conditions, providing them with peer support and team learning. They may also be reimbursable.
• Technology assists. Encourage patients to use apps and tracking devices that can provide insight into their progress. Increasingly sophisticated technologies are interacting with patients for behavior change and direct, not-drug treatments.
• Education. Provide resources, tools, and links applicable to the individual patient’s situation.